A traditional Mediterranean favourite, 2 servings (serving size: about 15 mussels and 1 cup tomato mixture) Serve this fresh mussels dish with chilled white wine and Italian bread. To save prep time, use kitchen scissors to cut the tomatoes in the can.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 2 pounds small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add wine, lemon juice, pepper and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Allow sauce to cool and then add mussels.
- Stir mussels through the sauce and place lid on saucepan.
- Place on heat for 2 to 3 minutes and then stir mussels through sauce again.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until around 3/4 of the shells are open.
- Remove from heat but keep lid on, allowing a couple of minutes for the balance of shells to open.
- Stir through parsley and serve.
- Serves 4