- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 1 tbsp Sichuan Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 2 tsp Sea Salt Flakes
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 1 kg Calamari – cleaned, quartered and scored (inside flesh)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- Lemon Wedges to serve
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the peppercorns, chilli flakes, five-spice powder and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Place the spice mixture in a small food processor and process to a rough powder. Mix half the spice mixture with the rice flour.
- Dip the calamari (including the tentacles) in the egg white and toss in the spice mixture to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Cook the calamari, in batches, for 1 minute or until crisp.
- Drain calamari on absorbent paper and then toss with the remaining spice mixture.
- Serve with the lemon. Serves 6–8.