An easy way to confidently cook Octopus
- 1 Octopus (around 1500 grams)
- 3?4 cup olive oil
- 2?3 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 sprigs lemon thyme
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & sliced
- Sliced red chilli (if you want some heat)
- 750ml empty jar with lid
- Clean the Octopus (refer our cleaning tips page).
- Place the octopus in large sauce pan with enough water to just cover the octopus. Cook over medium/low heat for 60 to 90 minutes or until you can easily pierce the flesh with a skewer.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Cut up the tentacles and body into pieces around 3 cm long.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, thyme and garlic and taste to ensure vinegar is not overpowering.
- Pack the octopus in the jars, leaving around 2cms to top of jar. Fill jar with pickling liquid, ensuring all the Octopus is covered. Seal with lid.
- Place in refrigerator and turn every 24 hours for 5 days when Octopus will be ready to eat.